Thus Speak Nirmal

Monday, September 11, 2006

My .NET Session at KLN College of Engineering

On the 26th of August 2006, I went to KLN College of engineering with our team from MaduraiDotNet UG as a part of its Campus Reach Program. The Campus Reach Program (a newly coined activity) aims at taking .Net to the colleges in and around Madurai. KLNCE was the first college in our list and it was there I took my first Technical Session outside TCE facing a crowd of over 200 plus. This remembered of my “Introduction to .NET” session at the Community Launch in Jan 2006. Read the article in The Hindu




Me In Action


The .NET Team consisting of 13 members, 3 from Final Year and 10 from Third Year started of from TCE at 9.30am in the bus that KLNCE had offered us for the trip to their college. We reached there at around 10.30am. We were received there by the Placement Officer of KLNCE. We decided to start the session at around 11am but we had trouble installing VS2005 as we couldn’t find systems with the right configuration. So I had to proceed without the demos planned for my ASP.NET Session.

The first session was an Introduction to .NET. Then was a Quiz session which was handled by our juniors. Trial Versions of VS 2005 DVDs were given off to the students who answered enthusiastically. The next session was mine. It was on Web Services. I started off with a slide on how the world would be if there was no interaction among the web apps hosted on the internet and the “Vision of Microsoft.NET”. I went on to speak for 15mins and towards the end of the session I cited some web services offered by WINDOWS LIVE, PASSPORT.COM and GOOGLE. As we ran short of time I couldn’t take my session on ASP.NET 2.0 :(

We then had a hearty meal provided by them. The Principal appreciated our efforts in taking pains to inculcate .NET among the student community there. We then asked them to nominate two students to take up the role of Microsoft Student Partners at KLNCE. Within two days I got a mail from them. I was overwhelmed by their response and I am really thankful to the Principal of KLNCE for helping us organizing this event and allowing MaduraiDotNet UG’s wings to reach out to the student community there. Also the junior team from a college got a good exposure by conducting Quiz sessions. I can say that this is one of the best way to train potential UG Leads :)

One feedback that really impressed me was that of a second year student from the CSE Dept. who thanked us for this wonderful session and making him understand what .Net is all about and wiping away his misapprehension that .NET was something related to Networks and Hardware.

With happenings like these I can guarantee that the Campus Reach Program will definitely be a super hit :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Disclaimer:All opinions expressed here are J.Nirmalanand's personal opinions and do not represent my employer's opinion in any way. No warranties or other guarantees will be offered as to the quality of the opinions or anything else offered here.